I am trying to update (or create) many issues (work items) by import with the "External System Import" tool, but have three challenges. I am not a super admin, but can create tickets with this tool. Are there configuration or permissions changes I need to request from my administrators?
Challenges
- I am unable to map any "other" fields (based on the last item in the table under the Tips for importing CSV data into Jira fields heading in the Import data from a CSV file article.
- I believe I am unable to update existing items because I'm unable to map the Issue/Work item key in this interface. The CSV file structure section has a sub-heading of "Updating existing work items" that indicates I should be able to update existing items this way.
- Lower Priority: Two of three custom date fields cannot be imported due to "fields.validation.date.format" errors even though the same date format is being used for all date fields. I have tried multiple date formats; always keeping the CSV format and the import config format the same. I noticed that the dates in these fields are displayed in a different format in the issue search results.
- Dates I can update by import are displayed as MMM dd, yyyy (example: Jun 05, 2025).
- Dates I can NOT import are displayed as dd/MMM/yy (example: 05/May/25). They can also not be edited in-line in the search results.
NOTE: There are some discrepancies between what I see and what this documentation shows: for example, I am unable to switch to the old import view and I access this interface through the issue/work item search, rather than the "Settings" menu.