My organization just upgraded from Office 2007 to Office 365. A "File List" on a Confluence page no longer allows a document to be opened for edit. I'm referring to the button on the confluence page, "Edit in Office". We've been on IE11 for 18 mos now so doubt this is the culprit since it worked with Office 2007. I've spent 4 hrs looking into this on the web, but no similar issues related to O365 or Office 13 I could come up with. I'm wondering if this warrants a ticket into Atlassian or if there is some general fix out there that i can suggest to my ITOps team.
Instead of opening the document for edit in Excel or Word, the document opens read-only, and cannot seemingly be saved back to the space as a new version. This behavior applies to documents added before our cutover to O365 and after. There is no workaround I can find - the user has to upload a new version of the file manually (no means to utilize the versioning inside of the file list). Attempting to overwrite the document with the same name (e.g., try doing a save-as) yields the read-only violation. Providing a different file name yields an "Upload Failed" message in the Office app. Here is the path to the file where 'n' is an integer used to store the document I assume.
https://mydomain.jira.com/wiki/plugins/servlet/confluence/editinword/nnnnnnnn/attachments