I am trying to create the structure for our equipment inventory in Jira Assets. So far, we created a "Make", a "Model" and an "Equipment" object types and we gave Equipments an attribute for Make and an attribute for Model. This way, we can tell the make and model of any equipement and everything is available in the Equipment view/list.
That said, I think it would make more sense if Model had an attribute for it's Make and Equipment only had an attribute for Model. That way, we wouldn't have to set a Make attribute for multiple equipements of the same model. The problem with this solution is that the Make isn't shown when consulting the Equipment unless we look at the object graph and set the depth to 2. It was much easier when all the information was available in the same screen.
A third solution we tried was to give Model an attribute for Make while ALSO giving Equipment an attribute for Model and Make. That way, the information was available in the Equipment screen AND there would be a link between Make and Model. Now the issue with this is that there is two Make attributes to set (one for Model and one for Equipment) and they could be set differently by mistake. Using this solution, I tried to limit or at least filter the Make and Model fields of the Equipment objects so that when a Model is selected, only the linked Make is available and vice-versa. The closest I have gotten is by filtering the attributes using a AQL like this : "object having outboundReferences(Name=${Make})". It seems to do what I want it to but I get an error when selecting a object (Object: INV-XXXX is invalid due to restrictions) and if both fields are empty, there aren't any options to chose from since the filter doesn't find any objects that match.
Do you have any suggestions that could help make this more efficient?