My users are complaining as they are suddenly getting "you have work items that are overdue" emails.

Our use case sets the "start date" and "due date" fields on a work item representing a reporting record. This ensures that the period it covers is visualised on various OOTB screens like Calendar and Roadmap without needing to make customisations. They populate data into the record after the month has completed, thus the due date field is not used as a real due date, which just makes this email noise/spam.
I don't like causing my users notification fatigue, so have been trying to figure out how to stop it, but I can't.
I can't find anywhere on the Jira Project's notification settings (it is a company managed project), nor are users able to opt out via their personal notification preferences. Does anyone know how to disable this?
Has anyone else found a release note or heads up that this change was coming?