Hello Atlassians! I know this question has been asked a dozen times, but I'm going to ask it one more time. 
I understand how the planning project can involve multiple teams and display all teams' issues on the same timeline. This is great.
I also understand there is a cross-project release function in the plan under releases. This seems to align with the direction I want to pursue. Each team has its release naming scheme, and the cross-project release combines all teams' releases into a single master release.
The problem is that this concept does not go far enough. The cross-project release doesn't seem to have much utility beyond displaying it on the releases page in a plan. I need an actual cross-project release or a way for team projects to share a master release in a shared project. I need to be able to track the cross-project release with the same granularity as I do with the release within a single project.
It's the old Microsoft Office example. Microsoft Office includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and more, each of which is its own product with its own releases. But when released as Microsoft Office, there is only one overarching release, like 16.0.
Has anyone found a way to replicate this in Jira? I'm not the only one with this requirement. If you can't share releases between projects and the cross-project release in the plan is just window dressing that cannot be stored in a project or queried, what are the options to solve this requirement?
I appreciate your input and will be delighted to be wowed with your solution. 