Hello,
My question is pretty similar but with a little twist. I asked my Jira admin to include Feature (issue type/ layer) in the existing hierarchy for my project and board.
Existing hierarchy: Epic > Story > Subtask
New hierarchy: Epic > Feature > Story > Subtask
I can now create a Feature as a child of an Epic. However, when I try to create a Story as a child of a Feature, I only see Sub-task as a issue type/child, no option to add/create a Story from the Feature. If I create a Story as a stand alone issue, I cannot link it to a Feature as its parent. I only see issue type Epic available as a parent for the Story.
This tells me there's no linkage created between Feature and Story in Jira by our admin even though hierarchically Feature is sitting above Story.
Once I brought this up, Jira admin mentioned making that change/ linkage will impact everyone in the company. So basically everyone will have to create Features in between their existing Epics and Stories for their Projects and Boards.
Currently, almost all the projects and boards, in my new company, use Epic > Subtask. But I plan to use Epic > Feature > Story > Subtask to bring more structure to the process. Based on Jira experience a while back, I thought there was a way to create your own hierarchical relationship by each board. But my admin is not sure if that's possible.
Question is, how do I achieve this new hierarchy for my projects and boards without messing up others? Thanks a lot for your help.