I'm a long-time Cloud and Data Center admin. I'm aware that using the Default Field Configuration without custom field contexts means that Jira stores a value for every single issue and every custom field. The symptoms I've seen are:
- In a Data Center instance with 10 million work items, there are 10 million (often useless) values in the customfieldvalue table.
- When using the issue REST API, issues return every custom field in a giant list unless you specify fields in the query string.
However, creating a new Field Configuration and then going through and clicking Hide on hundreds of fields is a huge pain, so much that I've sometimes created a base configuration template with all custom fields hidden, then copied that so that I click Show 10 times instead of Hide 990 times.
How do other people handle this? I believe that just setting the context for each field accomplishes similar goals, but that has its own problems. With 1000 projects and many issue types, it's clunky to use the multi-select fields and all too easy to accidentally deselect projects.
Thanks!