This problem was reported multiple times but I have not seen yet a reliable set of steps to debug the issue more thoroughly.
I have created a Personal Access Token for the very account I am able to create issue types in JIRA through the browser.
This simple command should work:
curl -v -D- -H "Authorization: <pat removed for obvious reasons>" \
-H "Content-Type: application/json" \
--request POST \
--data '{"fields": {"project": { "key": "CIP"},"summary": "curl","description": "curl script","issuetype" : {"name": "Task"}}}' https://<company_name>.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/issue
But it does not with the error:
{"errorMessages":["You do not have permission to create issues in this project."],"errors":{}}
Some AI LLM tool suggested this:
Verify PAT Permissions:
Go to your Atlassian account settings
Navigate to Security > Personal access tokens
Check that your token has the necessary permissions (read:jira-work, write:jira-work)
Consider creating a new token with explicit permissions for issue creation
But I do not see those options on my JIRA installation. I can only create tokens with an expiry date. Nothing else.
This is the JIRA I am using:
Build Number: 100283
Build Date: 2025-04-10T17:15:24.000+0200
Deployment Type: Cloud
Can someone suggest some different way of debugging this that is different than what I have tried already?
Thank you!