Hello everyone and thank you in advance for your help. I have been using Jira for some time but am just getting into using automation. I am setting up a rule that triggers when I create an epic containing a particular text string under my current project. The goal is to create a set of "child" epics that each contain their own set of stories.
In my screenshot, I kept it simple and tried this with one "child" epic and a single story to go underneath it. What I am finding is that the story's Parent/Epic Link is linking to the original "parent" epic I manually created that triggers the rule, instead of the "child" epic. I am just learning about hierarchy, so what you see in the screenshot is what I cobbled together.
Could someone please tell me (a) how to link the story to the "child" epic, and (b) is there a simpler or more elegant way of achieving what I am looking to do?
Also, what I would ultimately like to do is use that original epic to "hold" the other epics via Relates To links. That way someone could go to the main epic and see the sub-epics underneath it. I believe epics can't really be parents to other epics, so is there a better way of doing this? Should I just create a new issue type that would function in that way, even if it's not higher in the issue chain than an epic? If this is opening a can of worms, I can push this off for another day.
Thank you!
