hi! I found a helpful blog on how to create automation so that any child issue start / due dates would automatically update a start / due date of their parent Epic, but I was wondering if I have it configured correctly cause in our Project we dont use the "issue" issue type. we do it as Epic -> user story -> task.
Here is the blog i am referencing for building the automation, but i think because we use user stories that I have to tweak it. Can someone provide insight?
https://support.atlassian.com/automation/kb/how-to-update-parent-issue-start-date-and-due-date-from-child-issues/
Hello @Shettsline, Marisa M
Welcome to the Atlassian community.
The post you mentioned is not making use of an issue type named "issue". What information within that post makes you think that? I ask so that I can help you correct your thought process.
You said your issue type hierarchy is
Epic -> user story -> task
This doesn't align with the native issue type hierarchy which is
Epic > "standard" issues (i.e. story, task, bug) > sub-tasks
Your post tags indicate that you have the Premium subscription so it is possible that you could customize your issue type hierarchy. Have you customized your issue type hierarchy? If so, are you trying to update your Epics or your User Stories or both?
Can you provide screen images showing us your entire automation rule?
hi yes! so you are correct in that our hierarchy doesnt align with the native issue types. here is my automation rule ive configured, but im doubtful it will work given our hierarchy settings and wondering how i can make it work for our proejcts settings?
Are you trying to update your Epics or your User Stories or both?
Are all the different types of issues in the same Jira Project?
Is the scope of this rule one project, multiple projects, or Global?
What you have should work for updating your Epics based on the data from their child User Story issues, depending on the scope of your rule and whether the issues exist in the same project or different projects.
I am trying to update my Epics only based on their child user stories start and end date! the scope of the rule is just for my project only, we are in a managed environment so everything we do is only for stuff within our project
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.