In case you hadn't heard, Atlassian is pushing a new UI to Jira over the coming months.
And the changes (scroll to the end for some side-by-side comparisons) may be a bit of a surprise for your users.
I've never spent as much time thinking about Jira UI before @Alex Ortiz, @Rodney Nissen _Work Wranglers_ _TJL_ and @Robert Wen_Cprime_ roped me into a fun chat with @Sarah Wright and @Matt Reiner _K15t_ about it this past Thursday.
And now I can't stop thinking about it. This comment from "Administrator" got me digging:
This reminds me of what happened in 2018 when Atlassian changed the ‘top’ navigation bar to a ‘side’ navigation bar. The experience was so bad that *after* they rolled it out, they ran focus groups where 95% of users said they preferred the ‘top’ to the ‘side’. Then in 2020 the ‘top’ was brought back as an ‘improvement’ (“we have heard your feedback”) and because it was a “better navigation system”.
So as I only adminned on-prem Jira Server instances up through 2019, I was spared from all of this UI "whiplash". Or rather spared from user outcry over it. So I went digging. Oh boy.
Pre-2017/2018 Top Nav
2018 Side Nav
Oh look, this is when they introduced the Project Sidebar
2019-2020 back to Top Nav (Project Sidebar stays)

Notably this included the introduction of the Your work page

Back in March of 2024 Atlassian started testing the New navigation via a Chrome Extension(?!) Apparently the EAP and Open Betas were a smashing success (97% of testers opted to stay with new nav) and so this new new UI is slated to roll out in 2025.

(Source: Webinar: Unpacking the new Atlassian global navigation experience)
So, what are you getting with this update?
2025 Side Nav is back

Hrm, that's a little hard to see. So I spun up a new site (and used the very cool cloud-to-cloud copy product data feature) to do some side-by-side comparisons. (No, not that side-by-side feature.)
2025 vs 2020 Nav
Summary

Ooof I have a lot of stuff in my fake Backlog

Boards

Issue

Huh, after having done the screenshots... it doesn't seem that bad. But hey, let's discuss.