Hi,
I am new to JIRA and I have 2 questions about Epic estimation and issue links:
Epic estimation: I created an epic, then I created some issues with estimation inside this epic and the epic estimation changed corresponding. When I create some sub-tasks (of above issues) with estimations, the total estimation of issues increase. However, the total estimation of epic does not change.
Did I use JIRA incorrectly?
Thank you in advance.
Hi Nic,
Let discuss more about issue link. I think an issue link is not fully a relationship. If your call a link is a relationship between 2 specific items, there should be constraint between them. For example, the relationship between issue and sub-task. The issue cannot be closed if its sub-tasks are not closed yet. I think this is the "lock - is locked by" constraint of the relationship. while the issue links don't have the constraints like this.
Why does there need to be a constraint? If an issue has a link to another that says "the issue at the end of this link might tell you something interesting about the current issue", there's no constraint, it's a relationship, shown by a link.
If you need to impose constraints, that's a function of your business logic, not the simple structure of a link. There's nothing wrong with that idea, but Atlassian have not coded for it because that's not what they use links for. They've kept them as simple informational links, not tried to build anything on top of them.
You will need to implement logic to suit your usage and cases. Have a look in the marketplace, there's quite a few add-ons that will use the link information to do things like "you can't progress this issue through the workflow unless all the issues linked to it with <link type> are resolved"
Ok Nic. Thank you for your answer
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.