Hello All,
When I joined my current organization as a Scrum Lead, I noticed an issue with the project setup. We have one large project called CDP, under which various teams like Jaws, Chronos, Chimera, Apollo, and Hercules operate.
When these teams create a user story, CDP as the project is already set by default in Project Settings. To differentiate their team stories, they assign the story to their team using the 'Assigned Team' field at the user story level. This ensures that the stories appear only on their respective JIRA boards.
The problem arises when I try to close my team's sprint. I can't do it unless all tasks and stories from other teams are also moved to 'Completed' status. For example, if the JAWS team has completed all its work and wants to close the sprint, we can't do so if the Apollo team still has ongoing tasks. This seems to go against Agile/Scrum best practices.
Here are my questions:
- From an Agile/Scrum practice perspective, is it acceptable to set up the project this way?
- If not, what are the best practices?
- Is there a way to change this setup to allow for more autonomous project execution?
- Are there any workarounds, such as changing current settings, so that each team can close their sprints independently?
- I believe maintaining this status quo impacts Sprint KPIs. If so, how does it impact them, and what are those KPIs?
Please let me know.