I understand how to turn off URL_replacement_with_page_titles in description and comment fields. I have since done that, and so productivity is somewhat restored.
The location that is most problematic is actually inside the URL field itself. Even though I globally shut off URL replacement, the URL is still being replaced with the page title in the tiny URL field. Once it is there, there is no option to Command-Z it back to normalcy.
Further, you can't fit the cursor into the field to change it if you wanted to. You try to click into the field to edit it, but you end up launching the link instead.

1. The "smart" replacement is a step backwards in accomplishing what I need to do. It NEEDS to be optional and not forced upon us.
(2. The URL field should also be smart enough to not require typing "https://" each time too. That bit should NOT be required. The requirement is another small chip away at productivity.)
Can Atlassian pick this low-hanging fruit and restore it to how it was before "smart" links were forced upon us without an escape option?