Hello, I want to add a transition constraint:
I want to forbid transitioning a Bug ticket from In Progress to In Review if there are 10 or more bug tickets already In Review.
I do not see how this is possible in the workflow created for Bug tickets.
Hello @Ramon Masachs
Welcome to the Atlassian community.
With only native Jira Cloud functionality that sort of workflow condition cannot be created. It may be possible with a third party app. Are you open to getting such an app?
If not, an alternative is to use an Automation Rule triggered by the status transition, check if the limit has been breached, and if so automatically transition the issue back. It might also be appropriate to automatically add a comment to the issue explaining the change.
Thanks for your answer. I was trying to set an Automation Rule indeed. I am not sure how I can count the current number of bug issue In Review. I do not see the option to count with lookupIssues.issueType
Hello Ramon,
Please provide screen images showing your complete Automation Rule.
The Lookup Issues action enables you to execute a JQL statement to retrieve a set of issues. You could use a JQL statement such as:
issuetype=Bug and status="In Review"
When the action completes the {{lookupIssues}} smart value is a list of the issues found. One of the attributes of a list that you can access is size to get a count of the items in the list.
After the Lookup Issues action you could use a Smart Value Condition to check the size of the list:
I have something like this.
Not sure if it will work nor where I should link it exactly.
Hi @Ramon Masachs -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!
Adding to Trudy's ideas...
Using an automation for this scenario will reverse the transition, but it may not solve the root cause of the symptom of moving more into that status than to which the team agreed. Instead that automation could lead to unintended consequences, such as people hiding work or not updating the Jira board as work happens.
I recommend discussing this symptom with the team at a retrospective to understand why that transition happened. Data from the cumulative flow chart / report could be used to look at the count of issues in that status over time. Once the team understands the root cause, they will be better able to define and try experiments to improve their work processes...perhaps eliminating the need for using a rule to undo transitions.
Kind regards,Bill
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.