When new support tickets are created in our service desk, they get assigned to me (an Admin) instead of the project lead (UserA).
I did check other forum posts with the same issue, but their steps to resolve did not work for me.
The project lead is set to UserA

UserA access permissions seem correct - they are assigned to Administrators and Service Desk Team. UserA can access/edit any tickets and I can reassign tickets to them also.

We are using the default workflow (Jira Service Desk default workflow) which does not include any custom post-function setup.
The permission scheme has the correct roles assigned to each permission.
There are no automation rules.
There are no components used in the ticket.
The behavior is the same whether the Default Assignee is set to "Unassigned" or "Project lead". In both cases, the ticket still gets assigned to an Admin instead of UserA
There must be some setting/config that I am missing but I just can't work it out.
Any help to resolve this issue would be much appreciated.