We have a project that is used by our testing team, as well as the vendor's developers and testers. Each defect (ie: issue) can be in one of many different statuses, and there is a clearly defined workflow for each defect. However, occasionally a defect can change to a status that doesn't follow the workflow.
We would like to have a strict workflow which enforces the transitions from one status to another. For example, a defect in the status "In Development" can't transition directly to "In Customer Testing" - it should go to "Ready for Vendor Testing". Anyone can change the status of a defect in line with the enforced workflow transition rules.
We would like a second, relaxed workflow that allows a defect to transition from any status to any status, but only a handful of super-users can change a defect status to something that doesn't conform to the "strict" workflow.
We would configure who can use which workflow through group membership or something similar.
Hope that makes sense.
I suspect I know what the answer will be, but thought I would ask.