We recently built an external-facing portal for support tickets through JSM. I created organizations for all of our customers and our access settings require me to add each individual customer email to their respective organization so I know that they are all in the right place.
My understanding (albeit maybe incorrect) was that based on the reporter's email, it would associate them with their organization and do two things: 1) share with the rest of their organization and 2) show that organization in the respective field on the ticket itself.
I have tested with my own email associated in my own organization and it did do that. However, there are now a bunch of them coming in randomly that do not have any organization listed. We have other automations that are based on organization so this is a pretty big issue. I can't figure out where to even look at these settings since it seemed like a native function for the Organization feature within JSM.