Hi all
Please provide thoughts on uses of Forge apps vs private Custom connect apps?
(i thought I posted this previously but dont think I have) We have a private custom connect app that provides custom fields and allows for REST API calls via JWT token authentication that we use quite heavily for Jira and JSM (using an in-house PHP framework application)
I am wondering if I should switch to a Forge app or not...
https://developer.atlassian.com/platform/forge/
vs
https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/getting-started-with-connect/
Thoughts/Suggestions?
Thank you
Yatish
Hi @Yatish Madhav
Forge itself is hosted by Atlassian, it has more options for the UI such as UI kit and the Custom UI. More and more users are going from Atlassian Connect to Atlassian Forge applications.
There is a guide for the migration here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ERk_V-oZcE
Forge:
Great - thanks for that @Nikola Perisic - i was just reading about all of that.
RE the coding aspect, since it requires knowledge on JS and NodeJS more specifically. I wonder if there will be any expansion on that to allow functions and logic from our app?
I ask only because I am, currently, most familiar with our current connect app implemented on a PHP framework and we host it anyways.
RE the CLI, would the real world case be that we install forge and run the commands from our application server or local machines (we are 3 to 5 developers)?
@Yatish Madhav It is possible to have a Forge app that connects to an external compute using the so-called Forge Remote. It means that you can keep your PHP logic, publish it through a REST API e.g., implement the front-end with Forge and connect the front-end to the back-end through Forge Remote.
This is a very sensible way to save some of the rewrite, IMO.
(Early January Atlassian announced that Connect will "slowly become" obsolete, so I would not start new or large projects with it.)
Interesting! Thanks for the mention on Forge Remote ... i will be sure to look into that.
Yeah, i think a lot of the existing code is simply calling the REST APIs with JWT auth. That is the most key aspect which is why i am had this juggling conundrum.
I will keep experimenting with it. Thanks
@Yatish Madhav
Well, you would have to rewrite your application in NodeJS and JS. You would run the commands from your local machines with forge deploy option. Each time you deploy it, it will overrite the previous deploy. But this would require your team to enter forge deploy each time. Instead, you would use the forge tunnel command in order to do the changes in real time.
Yeah, i understand that. But i mean in the case of the forge app deploy and changes come as and when needed. do each of the developers run the commands - even if they are not administrators on Jira? Or can we centralise it so that it runs for the prod Jira instance from our prod server and for a test Jira instance from our UAT server?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.