I was hoping to use Forms to help automate my team's new work intake process, but it seems like the normal Jira (vs. JSM) version of this feature is so limited that I'm genuinely struggling to see how it could help us.
Originally, my plan was to create a series of text fields that would allow non-technical users to provide the minimal set of information necessary. The form (or Automation) would use these values to set fill out a templatized description, create a summary, set the parent epic, etc.
Unfortunately, it appears that everything I had in mind is out of scope. You can only select from existing issue fields, you can't compose an issue field from input values, you can't provide defaults, you can't pre-fill a field and hide it from the user, there's no automation trigger for form submissions, smart values don't seem to expose that an issue was created in response to a form submission, and the lack of default values prevents you from triggering an automation based on a given field's value.
At this point I'm genuinely at a loss as to how to get value out of Forms in their current incarnation. Am I missing something?