By the assistance of this community, I have created an automation to auto populate Start date and Due date based on the sprint the user story is iterated to.
As a next step, I need to roll the minimum and maximum Start date and End date to that childs parent (Epic). Then similarly with the Epic parent (Initiative).
This type of relationship will allow us to automatically have an up-to-date roadmap (at all levels), based on how things are iterated into sprints.
Below is a visual of what I'm meaning. You'll see that Initiative inherits 1/1 as the start date as that is the min Start date and 2/4 as the Due date as that is the max Due date, from the child Epic. Same logic is represented for the Epic / User Story.
- Initiative: Start Date = 1/1, Due date = 2/4
- Epic 1: Start Date = 1/2, Due date = 2/4
- User Story A: Start Date = 1/2 , Due date = 2/2
- User Story B: Start Date = 1/3, Due date = 2/3
- User Story C: Start Date = 1/4, Due date = 2/4
- Epic 2: Start Date = 1/1, Due date = 1/20
- User Story X: Start Date = 1/1, Due date =1/10
- User Story Y: Start Date = 1/5, Due date = 1/11
- User Story Z: Start Date = 1/6, Due date = 1/20
I have automation logic somewhat working to roll up to the EPIC, but now I need to incorporate to the INITIATIVE, ideally within one automation if possible.. I've tried to replicate what I've provided in the screen shots but nothing I tweak seems to get me there.
There's also an added layer that - it seems the initial automation to populate the Start / Due dates based on the sprint at the User Story level, is not kicking off the other automations, as the trigger is a Value Change to a field. I'm assuming whatever automation is needed for to roll-up all dates to the parents, will need to be ran via schedule / manual trigger?
This is a team managed project. See screenshots.
Thanks again for all the community help! Wish Atlassian had an IDE or something with some prompt technology so this experience wasn't such trial and error LOLOL





