I stumbled upon this discussion on the topic and following the linked knowledge base article to set up the automation rule like for like (below) but it never gets triggered and I have no idea why.
The only thing I can think of is that the trigger issue is from a different project. Anyone can help me solve this?
Hello @Nathan Yam
From the Rule Details page what do you have as the Scope for your rule?
If the issues involved are in different projects, then your rule Scope must encompass all the projects involved.
Multiple project scoped rules can be created only by Jira Administrators. Creating such a rule, or modifying a single-project scoped rule to be multiple-project scoped, can be done only from the Global Automations page.
If you are not a Jira Administrator then you will need to work with your Jira Administrators to have that change implemented.
Thanks @Trudy P Claspill . You are correct, I do have to adjust the scope but I'm not a Jira Admin so I will have to get help internally.
I will test again once the scope has been changed.
In case you need an alternative to Automation (that can be complex sometimes), I would suggest trying our app Elements Copy & Sync to clone tickets with their comments. It's automated and easier to set up.
It allows you to clone Jira issues with all their content (summary, description, custom fields, comments, attachments…). You can even sync the clone and source issue if needed.
You can check the guide here.
The app is for free during 30 days (and it stays free under 10 users).
Hi @Nathan Yam
If you’re looking to clone tickets with comments in Jira Service Management and are willing to try a third-party app, our app Deep Clone for Jira might suit your needs perfectly. Deep Clone allows you to clone entire issues, including their comments, attachments, and custom fields. It's straightforward to set up and provides flexibility in cloning across different projects, making it ideal for users who frequently need to replicate tickets with full context.
With Deep Clone, you can:
@Trudy P Claspill I've had the scope changed to Global, but the comment from the trigger issue is still not getting cloned over. The only thing I can think of is that in an another automation rule I've created to clone tickets across projects, I've set the condition to link the tickets by the link type "is delivered by" so I should adjust the link type of the "If: Linked issues present" condition to reflect that. Am I right?
Side question - the above rule copies the comments from the original issue to the cloned one whenever a cloned issue is created. But say I wish to continue to copy any new comments made in the original issue after the cloned issue was created, how would I create a rule for that?
Is this rule still not getting triggered? Or does it get triggered but not copy the comment?
Do I understand correctly that the Clone action is happening in another rule?
If the issue creation is being done in another Automation Rule then in this rule you must check the box on the Rule Details page:
That should solve the problem of the rule not being triggered.
If the rule is being triggered but the comment is not being copied, please show us the output from the rule execution log.
in an another automation rule I've created to clone tickets across projects, I've set the condition to link the tickets by the link type "is delivered by" so I should adjust the link type of the "If: Linked issues present" condition to reflect that. Am I right?
Yes, you would need to change the condition in this rule to match the link type you are actually using to link the issues together.
If you're just looking to clone a ticket with comments quickly and easily, you might find it much simpler to use our app – Clone Expert. It’s designed for end users and doesn't require any setup or admin rights.
Let me know if you'd like a quick demo – happy to help!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.