Hello community,
I am in the process of spinning up JSM for my company. We also use Jira for project board use for IT and DevOPs teams.
We use Okta as our IDP, and I have already set up one instance of the Okta/Atlassian integration. Using group assignment, any person we add to a particular group will be given access to Jira. No problems so far.
However, now I would like to use this integration in a different way; I want to set it up so that I can use a similar integration to add all of our employees as customers in JSM. The purpose is to take care of user provisioning for them instead of having each user have to login and register a JSM customer account. The problem I am having is that I don't see a simple way to do this from the integration already in place, nor can I get a cloned version of the integration to function.
I see checkmark boxes on the integration settings in Okta that allow me to add JSM to the integration, but then I assume if I use this, it will give all users a Jira account as well, which I don't want (I want to make sure the users for this group only go to JSM as non-billable customers).
So then I tried simply duplicating the integration, copying the settings from the first integration, and only checking JSM as the product to provide. This part fails when I attempt to test the API credentials. I am assuming that I would need to set up a separate IDP (even though it is still just Okta) in Atlassian Admin settings to get a new API key for this purpose.
But alas, I cannot do this either, as Jira Admin is telling me that I need to have Atlassian Enterprise in order to use multiple IDPs, even though its still the same IDP! I see the option to regenerate API keys, but then that would most likely break the current Okta/Jira integration that is already set up.
So, I guess I am spinning my wheels here.
Is there a way to setup multiple Okta/Jira product integrations so that I can assign different products to different users via my IDP without Enterprise? Perhaps if I regenerate the API key, I can use it for each Atlassian integration within Okta?
Or perhaps there is a way to load all users into Jira/JSM initially, but to not give them actual Jira access on the Atlassian side (a billable account), only JSM?
I have poured through all the documentation I can find and none of it really helps with this particular issue. I do not want to set this up as a portal-only customers type SSO project as I want users to be able to be pre-provisioned. (Otherwise I would just make the JSM instance public and let all users create accounts). I do not want to upgrade my instance as its not actually a separate IDP I am trying to use. Lastly, I don't necessarily mind putting the whole company in Jira if I can ensure that they won't actually be billed unless put into a project board.
I am sure that I am missing a simple fix here, but I don't think I can suss it out by myself any longer. Any advice on how to go about this would be much appreciated. Thanks!