I work for a mid sized B2B SaaS company and am blocked on a JSM setup task I'm hoping either the community here or Atlassian support can help with. Based on what I've found trying to solve this on my own, I'm not sure it's possible, but it seems like a common enough use case I'm posting here regardless and hoping someone has a solution.
Historically, when one of our customers has needed help, they've emailed a technical-support alias implemented as a group email in google workspace. From there, we'll manually log their request in Jira for internal tracking, do whatever work is needed with it and eventually respond back to the customer with whatever information/deliverables they need.
While this process has worked fairly well, we've also outgrown it. Manually copy/pasting the email to a Jira ticket doesn't scale well as it's hit or miss how or if it's tracked. It also makes reporting and conducting trend analysis on support requests tricky. Pointing the existing email address at Jira Service Management seems like a best of both worlds solution. Customers get the same experience they already know and like (no need to open a browser and go to a form based help desk) but under the hood, their emails to us automatically become tickets we can build automation around.
I tried setting this up as follows from the JSM technical support portal I've created:
- Project Settings
- Email Requests
- Add External Email
- Continue with Google
- Use Another Account (since I want the group email and not my personal one) <- this didn't work as I can't log in and authenticate the group email.
- So I backed up and tried 'Continue with Other' instead, which also requires that I authenticate the email address with a password.
Is there a way to make this work that won't require converting the existing support email over to an individual email account with a password (we have 30+ people on it today and I don't want to coordinate that conversion with all of them)? I understand that this was possible with JSM's predecessor, Jira Service Desk, and am therefore hoping there's a workaround for the current version as well.