Hello Automation Gurus,
I'm facing the following issue:
Using Webcall I try to pass the Issue Description (multi-line with lists, text formatting, etc.) but the values of the field returns HTML codes or simpley breaks the JSON.
If I only have one line in the Description, the call is executed.
At this point I'm not sure if it is an Automation issue or with the 3rd party.
Here are the bodies of the 3 different approach I'va tried so far:
Description Smart value (as HTML):
--
{"boardId":"650aad035f9a70ef36ed6978", "name":"{{issue.key}}", "description":"{{issueDescription}} ", "versionIds":["{{issue.fixVersions.id}}"], "virtualVersionIds":[], "columnId":"650aad035f9a700032ed696f", "synchronize":false, "synchronizeParams":{"name":true, "description":true, "startDate":true, "releaseDate":true}, "startDate":"{{now.jiraDate}}", "releaseDate":""}
Returns:
{message=Bad control character in string literal in JSON at position 126, stack=SyntaxError: Bad control character in string literal in JSON at position 126 at JSON.parse () at parse (/home/node/app/server/node_modules/body-parser/lib/types/json.js:92:19) at /home/node/app/server/node_modules/body-parser/lib/read.js:128:18 at AsyncResource.runInAsyncScope (node:async_hooks:206:9) at invokeCallback (/home/node/app/server/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:238:16) at done (/home/node/app/server/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:227:7) at IncomingMessage.onEnd (/home/node/app/server/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:287:7) at IncomingMessage.emit (node:events:519:28) at endReadableNT (node:internal/streams/readable:1696:12) at process.processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:82:21)}
--
Description as text:
--
{"boardId":"650aad035f9a70ef36ed6978", "name":"{{issue.key}}", "description":"{{issue.description.text}}", "versionIds":["{{issue.fixVersions.id}}"], "virtualVersionIds":[], "columnId":"650aad035f9a700032ed696f", "synchronize":false, "synchronizeParams":{"name":true, "description":true, "startDate":true, "releaseDate":true}, "startDate":"{{now.jiraDate}}", "releaseDate":""}
Returns:
{message=Bad control character in string literal in JSON at position 119, stack=SyntaxError: Bad control character in string literal in JSON at position 119 at JSON.parse () at parse (/home/node/app/server/node_modules/body-parser/lib/types/json.js:92:19) at /home/node/app/server/node_modules/body-parser/lib/read.js:128:18 at AsyncResource.runInAsyncScope (node:async_hooks:206:9) at invokeCallback (/home/node/app/server/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:238:16) at done (/home/node/app/server/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:227:7) at IncomingMessage.onEnd (/home/node/app/server/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:287:7) at IncomingMessage.emit (node:events:519:28) at endReadableNT (node:internal/streams/readable:1696:12) at process.processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:82:21)}
--
Description field:
--
{"boardId":"650aad035f9a70ef36ed6978", "name":"{{issue.key}}", "description":"{{issue.description}}", "versionIds":["{{issue.fixVersions.id}}"], "virtualVersionIds":[], "columnId":"650aad035f9a700032ed696f", "synchronize":false, "synchronizeParams":{"name":true, "description":true, "startDate":true, "releaseDate":true}, "startDate":"{{now.jiraDate}}", "releaseDate":""}
Returns:
{message=Bad control character in string literal in JSON at position 120, stack=SyntaxError: Bad control character in string literal in JSON at position 120 at JSON.parse () at parse (/home/node/app/server/node_modules/body-parser/lib/types/json.js:92:19) at /home/node/app/server/node_modules/body-parser/lib/read.js:128:18 at AsyncResource.runInAsyncScope (node:async_hooks:206:9) at invokeCallback (/home/node/app/server/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:238:16) at done (/home/node/app/server/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:227:7) at IncomingMessage.onEnd (/home/node/app/server/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:287:7) at IncomingMessage.emit (node:events:519:28) at endReadableNT (node:internal/streams/readable:1696:12) at process.processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:82:21)}
---
Here is a screenshot about the rule:

What I have tried:
* changed the field renderer to text instead of wiki markup
* tried to store the Description in variables (as text or html)
* use single line in description: that worked but it is unreal for a description to have only one line.
Any suggestion on how to proceed? Or help identifying if it is an issue with Automation or with the 3rd party plugin?
Have a nice day!