I do not understand the purpose of a screen scheme. Is there a simple example that shows how someone would use them? The Atlassian documentation shows me how to create a new screen scheme, but I have no clue why I want to do that.
Screens are a collection of fields that you want to show to a user at some point.
A screen scheme collects them together, defining a screen for Create, another for Edit and a third for View. This is quite handy because it means you can do things with different fields.
For example, you can have a "Create bug" screen that includes version it was found in, but then have an "edit" screen for it that lets people add the data about which version it was fixed in and what the package release is.
Then, alongside that, have a "Create incident" screen that only asks for the basic details, and then later in the prrocess of fixing and analysing it, you introduce "root cause" type fields
Screens are a JIRA concept. They are part of the JIRA Core product, which are then used by the Service Desk application.
In JIRA, there is the idea of a Create operation, an Edit operation, and the View operation.
So, some tips –
So would I create 3 different screens, and then 1 screen scheme? Or would I also need 3 screen schemes?
You need one screen scheme for each type of issue you wish to behave differently. I usually keep the screens separate, but you can share them. For example, you could have screens as follows:
Bug create
Bug Edit
Incident Create
Incident Edit
View all (which contains all the fields from both issue types)
Then your screen schemes could say
p.s. the schemes are not organisational, they tell JIRA what fields to show to the user when the user clicks create, edit or view on an issue.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.