When adding an external link in Jira it is convenient to type the link label, say "my external link", mark it and click the "Link→External Link" button. This replaces the text "my external link" with the link format:
[my external link|http://example.com]
It would be convenient if this set the "http//example.com" text as the selection, since that is always what you will want to replace when the external link is created from an active text selection, and it would allow simply pasting the URL.
In our data center hosted Jira (v 9.12.7), the label instead gets highlighted, which I think could be considered a (small) bug:

In the cloud version at jira.atlassian.com (v9.12.8) it appears nothing is highlighted at all after inserting an external link, which is less of a bug than the behavior I observe on our hosted Jira, but also inconvenient.
How can I bring this to Atlassians attention? Is there a better way to insert labelled external links?