This has happened to us multiple times, and I cannot figure out where to check or alter settings. The most recent example is similar to this:
- Sept 10th - new email received from HR manager with subject line "John Doe EEID 5929". A new tickets was created and resolved within a day or two.
- Oct 4th - new email received from HR manager with subject line "Mary Smith EEID 5216". Jira added this email as a comment to the first resolved ticket instead of creating a new one.
To be clear, these are new emails - not forwards or replies to previous email chains.
We have also had this happen multiple times with HR emails with subject lines "New Hire Notification - Firstname Lastname, DD/MM/YY" when the names and dates were different.
I cannot figure out if there is a setting with the email handler to prevent this. I thought the default behavior was for Jira to only add emails as comments when they contained a valid issue key.