This is a problem for me as I am the administrator of the advanced roadmaps at a large company with many teams. Some of the managers - all of whom control their own Jira projects - like to use sprints as "bins" to divvy up their work. Thus they create "fake" sprints that never get dates.
As this might seem counterintuitive, let me explain the rationale for these "fake" sprints: they are used as holding tanks / bins - which in essence means they get to have more than one backlog. And the dates are NEVER set on these "fake sprints"/bins - doing so would defeat the purpose of them being de facto extra backlogs. Inside of their projects and their boards, these "fake sprints" have no effect and serve their purposes well. They get to have their cake and eat it too. In essence they can split up their backlog by dragging issues into the sprints that are functioning as bins and nothing more. One rational for doing this is if they have a giant backlog (and many of them do) they don't lose important story and tasks etc in a giant never-ending backlog that spills off the screen. They can open and collapse the sprints that are "bins" and then when the time is right expand them, and actually drag issues out of these "fake" sprints and into sprints that have dates.
The problem for me in advanced roadmaps is this:
- I have dates in the advanced roadmaps inferred from sprints.
- I have the board as the issue source (this is necessary to infer the dates from the sprints)
- Advanced Roadmaps seems to treat all sprints as having inferred dates even when there are no actual dates given for some of the sprints. The dates are inferred from the way the sprints are arranged on the board's backlog page from top to bottom, so that when the algorithm for the advanced roadmaps gets to sprints that are "fake" sprints that HAVE NO DATE, it assigns dates to them by inferring the dates in sequence (descending downward on the page with a date range assigned for each "fake" sprint).
Is there any way to stop this behavior? So sprints that are LITERALLY without dates DO NOT cause inferred dates in advanced roadmaps? I do understand the necessity of this behavior for auto-scheduling - but it still seems like something that should be able to be turned off - as the sprints HAVE NO DATES.
And before anyone tells me I should tell the managers NOT to use Jira this way, I can only say I do not have the power to tell them what to do in their own Jira projects - so that is not an option for me.