So before I built this filter for the board I was able to add tickets directly to the board but after I implemented the filter below I can no longer add tickets directly to the board. Any particular reasons as to why? I didn't see any documentation on this or maybe I'm not using the right keywords.
project = someName AND Sprint in (futureSprints(),openSprints(),EMPTY) AND type NOT IN (Epic,subTaskIssueTypes()) ORDER BY Rank ASC
ANSWER
TLDR seems like JQL hasn't been fully integrated with the current board.
"Sorry for the last Step-by-Step; I was testing in my instance, and we also have some limitations relate to JQL. As described in "Make creating a new issue on a company managed Kanban board more obvious"
"Unfortunately, we are unable to achieve 100% coverage due to the following unsupported use cases:
User lacks issue create permissions.
Column has reached its maximum issue limit.
Issue type workflow lacks transitions to one or more statuses in the column.
Workflow only has direct transitions to the status(es) in the column, or has a global transition but includes a validator, condition, or transition screen.
Workflow has an initial transition but includes a transition screen or condition.
Complex board filter JQL."
I kindly recommend you to watch the Feature Request, and vote on it, so that you're notified if this is implemented in a future release. For your reference, you can find our policy on how we prioritize feature and improvement requests at this page. You can also add a comment to the feature request to explain your specific use-case to the developers.
I have also added a link to this case so that the developers can reference it if necessary."