I'd like to be able to restrict edit permissions on custom fields in our Jira instance such that only a select group of users can edit these specific fields.
I am aware of the global looping transition + use of a separate screen in the workflow but as far as I can tell this prevents the ability to easily edit the field without having the extra clicks to go into the screen from the issue detail view. I'd like to have the allowed users be able to quickly edit/bulk edit the field without having to take those extra clicks for each separate issue needing editing. E.g., we use JXL Sheets in our instance to bulk edit fields often but with the looping transition workaround I mentioned above this doesn't work...
I also see there are some Marketplace apps that can set permissions for fields but my question for those would be: can you use one of these apps to modify the permissions on an existing field, rather than having to create a new "secure" field made via the app?
Any insight into my question is appreciated. Maybe I am missing something here? Thank you!
For added context: Example of the "global looping transition + use of a separate screen" workaround I refer to: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/how-to-restrict-a-users-for-custom-field-in-jira/qaq-p/2232028