Why can't I create a simple "folder with sub-folders" system of my need (typically matching the epic-story-task-subtask), without jumping through ridiculously shaped hoops? Why does it have to be hard to set up a hierarchy matching my need?
Hi Usman - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!
Probably because the structure you described is not standard Agile hierarchy. Stories and Tasks sit at the same level - tasks are not children of Stories. But having a simple standard Agile structure of Epic > Story > Sub-task and Epic > Task > Sub-task is indeed built into Jira.
Welcome @Usman Gani Shams
Since you have the Premium tier, you can modify your hierarchy. You can find the full guide here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-the-issue-type-hierarchy/
Doesn't work. I am looking for the following hierarchy:
Epic-> User Story-> Tasks-> Sub-tasks
This should be simple enough if I can create a new level called "Story" and place it between Epic (Level 1) and tasks/stories (Level 0)
However, creating a new issue type hierarchy by default places it at level 2. Cannot be changed. So how can I introduce a new issue type hierarchy that sits between Epics and Stories/tasks.
Give me the flexibility to define hierarchy which works best for me and my org. Why can't I change the default Issue type hierarchy level?
You cannot put a new issue type hierarchy between the Epics and Stories since this was defined by the Agile methodology where it's stated structure is Epics - Stories - Tasks - Sub-tasks.
There can't be a hirerarchy defined between the Epics and Stories.
More info: https://www.atlassian.com/agile/project-management/epics-stories-themes
If it helps save me time and reduces friction in ticket management, why not enable it?
Based on my experience with Jira, there's a whole lot of back-end work that Atlassian has implemented that enforces the hierarchy where nothing can come between an Epic and a Story and only sub-task issue types can be under anything at the Story level. Additionally sub-task issue types cannot be the parent of a sub-task (although those sub-task issue types can be children of any standard issue type).
As mentioned before, this is something that you would need to raise with Atlassian support, although I can pretty much guarantee that they are not going to completely re-write Jira in order to accommodate this request.
That clarifies a lot! Not sure why they would do this though.
I come from Azure Dev Ops and you can configure ADO in any way possible. I believe the default is Epic-> Story-> task-> subtask. The only downside is you get sucked in to the M365 walled garden and its difficult to proceed without being on Office.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.