I'm wondering if it would be possible to set-up the notification schema in a such way to send the email notifications only when a @$username is specified in the comment post. That would allow "internal" conversations between the team members without to disturb the reporter until a resolution has been provided.
For example let's say we have the bug reporter named REPORTERX and the assigned developer ASSIGNEDX. When the ASSIGNEDX user review the issue he finds that he may need some information from a different developer DEVELOPERX so he wants to ask him a question / propose a resolution . Currently there is no way to "contact" him directly without to assign him the issue . I think it would be very handy if he could simply add a comment similary as it works in confuence e.g. : " @DEVELOPERX please propose a solution so i can integrate it ". Then @DEVELOPERX may post a comment such "@ASSIGNED here is the solution that I think will work ...etc. " . Finally after the solution is integrated the assigned developer will mark the issue as fixed but also post a comment such the following to notify the reporter that the issue has been fixed (e.g. @REPORTERX the issue has been fixed, let me know if it works ).
In this way the reporter user will not receive messages that were not intended to him. I think a such feature makes sense on development products but even more if you want to use jira for other purposes (e.g. CRM ).