I currently want to sum up one of my fields named "Final story points" from tasks split from the story. So basically I want the field "Final story points" in the story issue to sum all "Final story points" assigned to the tasks split from the story issue automatically.
Hello @Darby Kim
Welcome to the Atlassian community.
You could do that with an Automation Rule.
https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-cloud-automation/
Have you worked with Automation Rules before?
Jira Administrators can create Automation Rules. Often they also grant that permission to Project Administrators.
Automation rules are triggered by events, such as Issue Create, or they can be triggered manually by a user, or they can be triggered on a Schedule. In this case there are at least two, and possibly more, events that might prompt you to want to recalculate the sum.
- When an issue is split
- When a Final story point value is changed
Also, the relationship between an issue and Splits created from it is just a generic issue link relationship of split-from/split-to. Your user could create such a relationship between two issues without actually executing the Split function. They could also remove the established link between two such issues.
So that is four events so far that might prompt you to want to recalculate the sum.
It is also possible that one issue could be split, and then one of the issues created from that split could be split again. This could create multiple levels of split issues. Does that happen in your environment? Would that have to be considered in your case - rolling up the sum through multiple levels?
Hi @Trudy P Claspill
I have worked with automation rules before but extremely minimally.
I am not working with a situation that has multiple levels of split issues. It is a pretty standard situation with a story with a few tasks split from the story. I'm not sure if I set up the field incorrectly or the automation but here is what I have for the automation right now but it is not calculating the sum on the story.
I found this automation rule in another Atlassian Community post and adjusted to my particular set up.
The rule doesn't need to be that complicated.
In my example you would replace Story Points with Final story points
I inputted exactly this replacing "Story Points" with "Final story points" but it is still not working. Could something be wrong with the "Final story points" field set up?
Hi @Darby Kim
Welcome to the Atlassian Community!
If you prefer using a marketplace app, you can try Sum Up Reports for Jira app developed by our team. This app provides various table reports based on the fields you choose. For your case, you can create a report that sums up "Final story points" grouped by Parent.
App Features:
Here is our live demo dashboard where you can see and modify any sample report and play with it.
For further details, you can have a look at Sum Up and Average Reports in Jira Dashboards article.
If you have any questions, feel free to schedule a demo with us.
Hope it helps.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.