Our organization has many teams and even more products. Teams work on more than one product. A product may be worked on by more than one team.
After researching for a while, I've seen most people recommend that a separate JIRA Project be created for each team.
I am trying to figure out what the best way to handle the linkage between issues on which a team is working (e.g., epics, stories, tasks) and the particular product(s) to which they relate. My requirements are:
- It is easy to add new products across all teams
- Ideally no custom field needs to be added
I was thinking that perhaps the Components field could be used for this purpose. A new component would be created for each product. As others have noted, the downside is that Components are project-specific. But, I found the Octo extension which seems to solve that problem. You can also then create different Fix Versions for each product and associate the components to these versions.
Does it make sense to use the Component field in this way? Has anyone else needed to solve this type of problem?
Is there a better way to track work on products when different projects are used for teams?