Hello!
I am a very new Jira Admin at my company. Recently I have been learning how to build out the backend of a company managed project -- all schemes, workflows, etc. I built out everything for this project in my sandbox environment first and it all seemed to work. I built out all schemes and workflows in production, assigned the schemes, but not the workflows (yet) to the active project, and all of the issues in the project became unassigned. So I switched it all back to previous settings and that fixed the problem.
So my questions are: 1) Why did this happen? I'm sure there's a simple explanation. And, 2) Could someone give me the steps that I need to take when I do this sort of configuration change to active company-managed projects in the future? Do I need to make sure I change everything all at once including workflows? I want to make sure that when I switch everything again, including workflows, the issues don't become reassigned from users again.