Hello all,
I'm curious to see the opinions on what the best way is to pre-set fields on issue creation. Writing an automation rule or using rules in the workflow editor?
Currently, I have three rules in the new workflow editor to fire upon creation of a specific issue type that fills three fields with three separate links.
I would like to do the same with specific users to specific fields, but these users change depending on the parent the issue card is linked to at creation. I don't know if in the new workflow editor you can use smart values or if I must select a singular specific user.
Which led to me to my old reliable of just writing an automation rule that triggers on creation to edit these fields with the necessary information.
I'm new to Jira and don't have a solid understanding of which is better? I'm leaning more towards ol' reliable "it depends" as I found with these use-case, but maybe I'm missing something?
I know automation rules count towards my actions per month, but our company is small and definitely not going to hit our monthly limit so that's not really a con. Past that, I don't see a clear reason why I should use workflow editor rules over automations. If someone has a good example, I'd love to learn!