Hi guys,
I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to set up a wide variety of automation rules to keep epics and their children in line.
I have the following scenario which I'd like to cover but I am not sure how to set the automation up:
- Whenever a new ticket is added/removed from an existing epic, I'd like an automation to check if the status of the epic needs to be changed based on the status of the child. The complexity here is that:
- I want this to apply to all the projects we have in our Jira instance and all of them have different workflows with different statuses making selecting specific statuses for the automation rule difficult nigh impossible
- Even within a single project, epics and their children also have different workflows and statuses available, making it even more difficult to match up. eg, children may have a 'in progress' status whilst the equivalent in their epic workflow is 'in development'
Example of what I want to be able to do:
- When a new ticket is added to an epic and this ticket is in progress, if the epic was already closed (done) or not yet started (backlog), I want it to transition to its equivalent 'in progress' status whatever that may be.
- When a ticket is removed from an epic, if this child was the only one 'in progress' for example, and all others are 'done' then the status of the epic should change to 'done'
I already have in place automations to change epic status according to changes in its children but thats for existing children, I'm struggling to make this work for when the trigger is the addition or removal of a ticket.
Initial questions:
- Will I have to create 1 rule per status or can I just do branches within the same rule for the automation to apply the transition relevant to the status of the child? I can't seem to find the if/else block which is part of my confusion in trying to just 'branch' this within one rule - has Atlassian gotten rid of this?
- For any of this to work, will I essentially have to align all statuses so that the automation can work? or can I somehow use StatusCategory and transition based on this?
Thanks and apologies for the longwinded and hopefully not too confusing question!