Hello,
I've been using Jira for a few years now and I'm seeking guidance on whether I'm utilizing it correctly. In our workplace, Jira is integral to our processes, particularly for software development. Developers utilize Jira to address and resolve recorded bugs. Once they've addressed these bugs and merged their changes to the master branch, they mark the corresponding Jira ticket as closed.
Typically, these bug fixes are bundled into releases, denoted by a filled "fixversion" field, such as "release123." However, there are instances where we don't need to make a release, and thus, we only merge to the master branch without associating it with a specific release.
There are stakeholders beyond the development team who need to track whether a particular Jira ticket has been merged into the master branch. To streamline this process, I'm proposing a new practice for developers: before closing a bug ticket, they should add a "fixversion" label indicating "master" if we aren't planning a release.
I'm wondering if this approach aligns with the appropriate usage of the fixversion field in Jira.