According to all Jira screens but one, we have a user who is a part of our service desk team. In the Project settings --> People --> Roles the user is listed as Service Desk Team. In User Management, the user is included as a member of the jira-servicemanagement-users group, and is granted access to the Jira Service Management product as a 'User (agent)'.
BUT, when I go over to the user's Product Access, to the three dots across from Jira Service Management, and click 'view jira project roles', the 'View Project Roles for User' screen looks like this:

Sure enough, this is true. The user does not have any agent access to the service project. They cannot view the project, create issues, add comments, or edit things in any way.
I was able to find a work-around by editing the service project's permission scheme and manually adding this user to each service desk team permission. But I am worried other users added to the project will have similar access issues, and I want a more long-term solution for this problem. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.