We are adopting the SAFe methodology, which uses the hierarchy of:
Epic->Feature->Story
We are currently using the Jira standard, which uses the hierarchy of:
Feature->Epic->Story
I have figured out how to swap the two issue types, their screens, and workflows without disturbing the existing issue's parent, child, or linked relationships (think millions of issues!)
The conundrum comes from the issue type layout. At first, I thought I could recreate the layout of an Epic using the fields and order of fields from a Feature. Conversely, I could recreate the layout of a Feature using the fields and order of fields from an Epic.
Recreating the layouts may work, but it appears I would have to do it for every project (we have hundreds!).
My question is, can you copy the layout of one issue type to another? Jira will allow you to copy an issue layout from one project to the same issue type in other projects, which is excellent. But this only works if it is for the same issue type. i.e., Epic to Epic, Feature to Feature.
Has everyone come across a challenge and found a workaround to solve it? If I did not explain the situation well, please feel free to ask clarifying questions. To make this issue switch is a must-have for us in the very short term, and doing this hundreds of times is not tenable.
I can't wait to see how you solve this problem without purchasing Jira Align or plugin apps. All help and suggestions are welcome!
Thank you!