Hi everyone,
Looking for your guidance. I am in the process of writing jira automation rule to update the fix version field in jira product discovery idea with fix version value from associated jira delivery ticket. Please suggest available options.
Thanks.
Hi @Sakthidasan Viswanathan -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!
What problem are you trying to solve? That is, "why do this?" Knowing that may help the community to offer suggestions.
Until we know that...
JPD projects do not use Versions / Releases.
And the specific values for a Fix Version field in a linked "Delivery Ticket" issue, such as in a software project, belong to that software project.
And so I believe you could only store the text name (or id) of the version in a custom field in the JPD project. But it would not be the same version, such as hyperlinked to the version page in the software project.
Kind regards,Bill
Hi @Bill Sheboy - I created a text field fixversion in JPD project. I wanted to capture the fixversion value from the associated delivery ticket and update it to the fixversion field I created in JPD project for tacking purpose. This will help solve the manually getting the details from the delivery ticket and updating it in the JPD project.
Thanks for clarifying the scenario. Now for some adjustments to your rule...
First thing: your rule will try to access data outside of the JPD project, and so it must be either global or multiple-project in scope. Your Jira Site Admin will need to help change the rule scope, so please chat with them about the rule.
What is the name of your text field in the JPD project. I strongly encourage you not to use the name of an existing field in Jira, such as "Fix Version", as that could cause confusion in the rule processing (and for maintenance). Perhaps name it something like "Delivery Fix Version" to make it unique.
Next, you want to update the Idea, and not the Delivery Tickets. So rather than branching, consider using the Lookup Issues action with JQL to find the Delivery Tickets and the values in their Fix Version field.
Finally, how many linked, Delivery Ticket issues do you expect for the Idea? If it is more than one, which value(s) of the Fix Version should be used? Each Delivery Ticket could have zero-to-many values in the Fix Version field.
Hi @Bill Sheboy - I have ensured the rule scope is set to Global and renamed the fixversion field in JPD to a different name. Also in my case, its 1:1 mapping between delivery ticket and JPD idea. I tried two options to set the delvieryfixversion field value in JPD project. Both options not working.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.