I logged in today to find that every time a user clicks "Add a child issue" in an Epic that we are now getting an error "We can't Create child issues. This project only allows you to create Epics".
We have always been able to create child issues in Epics for this Jira instance. I tested and this is impacting all projects, this seems to have started just this morning, no changes were made that I am aware of - I am the only instance admin but there are other Org Admins I am also checking with, they do not make changes to our instance though.
Also the "Create" button allows us to still create Stories and then relate them to Epics.
First thing this tells me is my hierarchy is wrong, so I check and I do feel it is correct, I have Capability at 2, Epic at 1, and then the Story "All other standard issue Types", and Sub-Task "All sub-task issue types".
I checked the schemes and issue types and they have story and are related to the correct projects.
I checked permissions but I am not sure what permission this would be.
I checked layout but I am not sure what part of the layout this would be.
Has anyone seen this before? Everything I find Googling and checking Atlassian documentation is that the hierarchy is incorrect, but it seems the advice is to build it like I have mine today, unless I am missing something and that is possible, but if so why was it working before and now not?
Thanks for any help in advance!