Hello,
I have configured a story template in Jira that contains 10 sequentially ordered subtasks, each assigned to a different individual. The workflow requires each subtask to be blocked until the completion of its preceding subtask. The purpose of this template is to facilitate the creation of multiple instances of this story for repetitive tasks, all within a larger epic.
Currently, the subtasks do not automatically update their status based on the completion of the previous tasks, which leads to inefficiencies and delays since assignees are not promptly informed when it is their turn to begin work. To manage this, I manually set all subtasks to "Blocked" and only change the status when the preceding task is completed.
I have attempted to establish dependencies using "is blocked by" and "blocks" relationships, but it seems these are only visible as tags on the tickets without actively controlling the flow or notifications.
Questions:
- Is there an existing feature or plugin that can automate the blocking/unblocking of subtasks based on the completion status of the previous subtasks within a template?
- Can notifications be configured to alert the next assignee when their subtask is unblocked and ready to begin?
- Am I approaching the automation of this sequential task dependency in the right way, or is there a more effective method to achieve the desired workflow?
Any guidance on setting up a more automated and efficient workflow for these repetitive and dependent tasks would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!