When trying to upload using the "from Word doc" feature, I get the following error:
Welcome to the community, @Stacey Plowright 👋
The default max size is 100 MB, but this is configurable by your site admin., so your max file size could be different than this. More here.
Best,
-dave
Hello @Dave Rosenlund _Trundl_ ,
I suppose the 100Mb size is related to Attachments - if you upload .docx as a file to page attachments.
For using Import From Word there does not seem to be a description on max size (in characters, file size or words), though maybe it can be clarified by Atlassian team.
Andrii is correct. I'm trying to do the Import from Word option. Does the 100 MB max file size apply to both avenues? Looking at them, they are smaller than that. I have 49,111 KB, 15, 069 KB and 3, 216 KB.
I am actually trying to get things from oXygen (.dita files) to Confluence (I would want them as the final document, or large chunks of it, in Confluence, not the 600 or so topics the document is comprised of); so I've tried transforming from oXygen to Word and then importing to Confluence, and transforming from oXygen to PDF and then from Adobe to Word.
The 49, 111 and 15, 069 should be the same .docx document created the two different ways; the 3, 216 was a piece of the document.
All three gave me the same error, so I'm trying to figure out how small I need to go or if there might be something in one of the transformations causing things to fail.
Thanks for highlighting that my assumption about the limit applying in both cases is likely wrong. Sorry about that.
Yes. Let’s escalate this to Atlassian (which I have done).
@Stacey Plowright
The maximum size for a Word document that can be imported into Confluence Cloud is 20MB. If your Word document is larger than this, you will need to split it into smaller files before importing.
The "content is too long" error can also occur if the document contains more than 2 million characters. This is because Confluence has a character limit for each page, and if your document exceeds this limit, you will need to split it into smaller sections.
In addition to size and character limit, the error might appear due to the following reasons:
1. The document contains complex formatting or elements that Confluence can't import. This includes some types of tables, text boxes, and certain types of images.
2. The document is password-protected or encrypted. Confluence can't import these types of documents.
3. The document is corrupted or damaged. If this is the case, you might be able to open it in Word, but not import it into Confluence.
Regards,Sumit Uniyal
Hi Sumit:
Can you elaborate on certain types of images? If I can strip them of something on the oXygen end, it would be helpful if I could get them to import correctly on the Confluence end.
@Stacey Plowright Just a small correction here, file size limit for .docx is 100 MB for a single file , for bulk file it is Up to 30 files, 50 MB total and each file cannot exceed 10 MB.
Regarding your query for certain types of images, please find some general tips that might help:
Simplify Your Document: If possible, simplify your document before importing. This could involve reducing the number of images, tables, or other complex elements.
Split Large Documents: If your document is very large or complex, consider splitting it into smaller, more manageable parts before importing. This can help avoid issues related to file size limits and can make the import process smoother.
Check Image Formats: Ensure that the images in your document are in a format supported by Confluence. If not, you might need to convert them before importing.
Optimize Images: Large, high-resolution images can significantly increase the size of your document. Consider optimizing these images to reduce their file size before importing.
Check Table Complexity: If your document contains complex tables, check if they are displayed correctly after import. Confluence might not support all table features, so you might need to adjust the tables in Confluence after import.
Please find below documentation to get more information regarding this feature:
https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/import-content-into-confluence-cloud/
Thank you. I'm progressing, I think, but slowly. I've been able to import from Word (their article about receiving an error when opening a document and using the "Open and Repair" option seemed to have helped with that).
However, the images all seem to be maxed out when they're imported from Word to Confluence. What was originally an inline 14x14 image in oXygen that looked okay in Word imports as 1000+ image into Confluence. It seems like the larger images are also "maximized", but they're smaller (the original image size would have been much larger)? I think it may have something to do with Confluence's minimum image size which seems to be around 24 px or something like that?
I also found the "PDF embed for Confluence" and "Office Word" elements. Either of these would work, except it looks like PDF embed doesn't support search (which would be one of the reasons to put the document in Confluence) and Office Word lets you download the content (which is something I'm trying to avoid allowing).
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.