I am expected to recommend best practices for many software groups. When I look at Jira versus ADO as the ALM tool of choice I am blocked (in my own mind) from recommending Jira due to the lack of built in support for basic work breakdown hierarchies like,
- Epic -> Feature -> Story -> Task
When I'm asked to help an agile group I'm instantly suspicious of their agile discipline if they are using Jira. Even if they have a work around for the above hierarchy deficiency the Jira boards seem to encourage a waterfall approach to development with their generic Kanban boards instead of the very specific Scrum board form of Kanban board. Also, who with any level of discipline & transparency would use a tool that keeps referring to feature based work items as "Issues"?
I access both hosted and cloud based Jira, which is a concept that even this forum does not support.
Yet as Jira is wildly popular I feel I'm missing something, something good about Jira. What am I missing?