My use case:
I need to prepare the quarter roadmap for a team. This typically includes 10-15 epics and 50+ stories.
I find Advanced Roadmaps very useful for planning at the epic level first. I do this by ranking all epics by priority and estimating their size in days/weeks.
What I want to do next, is to automatically (with minimal effort) rank the stories based on the epic rank. This is so that the stories can be viewed from a Kanban board and development team could work by always taking the top item from the backlog without second thought.
Let me illustrate what I'm trying to achieve. Given 4 stories belonging to 2 separate epics ordered by story rank:
- Story1 [Epic1]
- Story2 [Epic2]
- Story3 [Epic1]
- Story4 [Epic2]
after I'm done ordering epics in the following order: Epic1 -> Epic2, I want story rank to reflect that:
- Story1 [Epic1]
- Story3 [Epic1]
- Story2 [Epic2]
- Story4 [Epic2]
From this article I understand that ranking in Jira works only relative to other records at the same hierarchy level (Epics, Stories, Tasks, etc):
All issues are ranked relative to those with the same hierarchy level, meaning the ranking of an epic won’t impact the ranking of a story
That is fine by me and I can live with that. I also see value in that since in some cases it may be needed to fine-tune some story ranking to alternate between epics based on the available resources, blockers, etc.
Is there some way to "one-time" apply parent ranking to the child ranking?