I've always tended to follow the principle: "1 team, 1 backlog, 1 board, 1 Jira Project"
And so teams would put their 'big work items' as Epics, broken down into smaller deliverables (Jira Issues).
It _feels_ like I ought to be using multiple Jira Projects somehow to add an extra layer of hierarchy and to make things a little more 'contained'..
I.e.,
One Scrum/Kanban Board that points to...
...multiple Jira Projects (that will eventually get 'done' and archived), that are broken down into...
...multiple Epics (and then their Issues)
However, I imagine the admin overhead would be a bit burdensome:
* create a Project
* update the original Scrum/Kanban Board's Filter to point to the new Project
and then when archiving the project once it's done and delivered:
* delete/archive the relevant Project(s)
* update the original Scrum/Kanban Board's Filter to remove the Project(s) from it
That all seems a bit cumbersome which leads me to sticking with my '1 team, 1 backlog, 1 board, 1 Jira Project' principle.
Has anyone found a compelling reason to use multiple Jira Projects to organise the work, rather than just 1 Jira Project with a bunch of Epics? And if so, how have they found it from an admin perspective?
Trying to tap into others' experiences here before I take a leap...