For each major release we need to create couple of generic Epics (for packaging, documentation, maintenance, etc). I'm looking for automation as I think it is the best solution and I'm facing couple of difficulties.
Preliminary information:
- The versions usually follow this pattern: "ProductName year.update - Milestone"
- ProductName being a certain string, its length can vary and it can contain dot or other special characters. --> I'm ok to have this part given in the pattern definition
- year.update: usually the year is on 4 digits and the update on 1 digit, separated by a dot. But it could be also a version on 2 digit + an update on 1 digit (xx.y) --> this should be recognized in the pattern
- Milestone can be Alpha or Beta or Release or anything else (Feature Freeze, Proto...) --> here I want the rule to be triggered only for "Release" milestone so this has to be given in the pattern definition
The rule I created for now (which doesn't work) is as follow:
- When: version created
- version name filter "ProductName.......-.Release"
- Then: Create a new issue
- Project = myProject
- issuetype = Epic
- Summary = "{{version.name}} Production"
- Fix version = {{version.name}}
Now my questions:
- I'm sure the pattern for version recognition can be improved. But I'm not a developer and the pointed documentation is not really of help for me. The pattern works but if the version is not yyyy.u then it doens't work anymore.
- the epic creation doesn't work. I assume the {{version.name}} is not working.
- in documentation I can see the smart value being {{version}} therefore I tried {{version.name}} without success
- the rest of documentation doesn't mention the smart values from versions (it does for project, issues, lists...)
Anybody to help?