I have been trying to figure out a way to get an issue reporter's phone number into a custom field within the issue. I realize Atlassian doesn't store phone number in its User data, so that takes out the simple smart value route like you are able to do with {{reporter.emailAddress}}. I added users as an asset object and imported everyone from our organization into it along with their phone numbers as an object attribute. I realize this requires me to manually add/import any new hires into the Users objects, but I don't mind that piece since we are a relatively small organization.
I cannot seem to get that specific attribute to display in an issue field though. The Users asset object is set up as shown below:


I can point a query to the user to match the issue reporter by using
objectType = "Users" AND "Jira User Name" = currentReporter()
I don't know where to go from there to get to the phone number (or whether I am totally barking up the wrong tree). I tried various attempts with automation to pull in the phone number, namely by using an AQL query and then trying to reference its value with the {{lookupObjects}} smart value, but I seem to be failing at directing it to that specific attribute. Clearly I am a novice with queries and have no SQL or similar background to reference. There also may be a much easier way to accomplish what I am after, but I am the only person in our organization who has been willing to explore Jira's functionality.